What is it?
The Kickstart Scheme is the government’s new £2bn flagship programme targeting young people aged 16-24 who are claiming Universal Credit and at risk of becoming long-term unemployed.
Employers can apply to host a Kickstart placement for up to 25 hours per week for up to 6 months. Doe each job placement the funding will cover:
Employers can spread the start date of the job placements up until the end of December 2021.
There will also be extra funding to support young people to build their experience and help them move into sustained employment after they have completed their Kickstart Scheme funded job.
How will it work?
Trafford Council will act as a Gateway organisation so that local employers can benefit from the scheme. It would not be feasible for most employers in the borough to apply individually, as they would need to offer a minimum of 30 placements.
To resolve this, Trafford Council will act as a Gateway and lead a group of local employers who are seeking to offer Kickstart placements, which will ensure the minimum number of placements are met and that small businesses can take part in the scheme.
We are also developing a consistent wrap-around support and training package that will benefit those on placements, using some of the additional funds available.
Please note that at this current time Trafford Council are only looking to work with employers who are based in Trafford borough. We recommend you consider an alternative Gateway organisation if your business is not Trafford-based, a full list of Gateway organisations can be found on the Government’s website
Before you apply
Please be aware of the following before you apply to the Kickstart Scheme:
- The jobs on offer must be new jobs - part of the application process will focus on this and you will be asked to show how the role does not replace existing or planned vacancies or cause existing employees, apprentices or contractors to lose work or reduce their working hours
- Placements must support participants to get the skills and experience to find a new job at the end of the programme
- Employers are unable to identify / recruit to Kickstart jobs independently and would need to work with Job Centre Plus (JCP) staff to identify suitable eligible candidates for placements. Where an employer has identified someone who they believe may meet the Kickstart criteria, they need to encourage that young person to have a conversation with their JCP Work Coach about Kickstart and the employer / vacancy specifically
- Wages will be paid monthly in arrears
Kickstart Q&A Sessions for Businesses
The Kickstart Scheme is a fantastic opportunity for businesses to boost their productivity while providing employment for a generation of talented young people who might otherwise be at risk of long term unemployment due to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 crisis
The aim of the £2 billion fund is to create hundreds of high quality 6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16 to 24 who are on Universal Credit. So far, more than 360,000 applications have been received and processed nationally and the scheme is open to all employers, regardless of size and sector, until 31st December 2021.
Want to know more then why not join the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), Trafford Council along with other Greater Manchester Gateway organisations including The Growth Company, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce and local business Hidden Treasure Discovery Centre CIC to find out more about how your business could benefit from the Kickstart scheme.
Following the success of the first session we have taken the decision to host a further 2 sessions for businesses interested in knowing more about Kickstart or have any specific questions about the scheme. The sessions will take place on:
- Tuesday 9th March 2021 at 10:00am – 11:00am
- Wednesday 24th March 2021 at 11:00am – 12:00pm
At the sessions we will cover –
- What is Kickstart?
- Update from DWP on any recent changes / updates to the scheme
- What is a Gateway Organisation?
- Hear from each of the Kickstart Gateways
- The link between Kickstart and Apprenticeship
- Q&A – A chance for you to ask any questions you may have about Kickstart
To register to attend one of the sessions please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your day preference and an invitation to join the meeting will be sent to confirm attendance.
How to apply
If you're interested in hosting a Kickstart placement and would like Trafford council to act as a Gateway on your behalf,complete our Kickstart Scheme expression of interest form.
The Kickstart Scheme has changed.
You no longer need a minimum of 30 job placements to apply directly for a grant.
You can now apply for a Kickstart Scheme grant by either:
- applying online yourself using the Governement Kickstart webpage
- getting help from a Kickstart gateway who is already working with the Kickstart Scheme
If you have any further questions, you can contact the Strategic Growth Team call 0161 912 4176.